Thursday 21 January 2010

Desert Island Discs

Going against my usual 5 for a change. 8 is going to be hard enough!

Inspired by the blogging prowess of ADHS and Langley's Blog. So go read them too.


Track One: Error:Operator - Taking Back Sunday
This song holds nothing but good memories for me. Every time I hear it, I have images in my mind of Fi dancing round the room, singing along to the track at full volume at Reading Fest while no-one else even moved a muscle... It's my personal favourite TBS track, which I promise has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the song appears on the soundtrack for the Fantastic Four. In fact, I like this song so much, I have based my twitter name on it. I do wonder what non-TBS fans think its based on.

Track Two: Sugar We're Goin' Down - Fall Out Boy
Although I had liked music of the rock persuasion before discovering Fall Out Boy, it wasn't until I heard this track that I experienced my first love of rockier music (I used to like to think that the Busted/McFly stuff counted, but it really doesn't). I remember reading about them for the first time in some random magazine aimed at teenage girls like Bliss or Sugar or something and decided to check them out, and I am beyond glad that I did. I remember how excited I was when I got tickets to see them for the first time, and then how dissapointed I was when I couldn't go because of university. Not that it did me any good. But I have righted that wrong now.

Track Three: Misery Business - Paramore
I rather love Paramore, as readers of the blog may have already gathered by now, and in particular the powerhouse that is Hayley Williams. She has a voice that can lift your heart a little even on the darkest of days, which would probably be a good quality if you were stranded on a desert island. I chose this particular track as it is one that is not only good for dancing around to, but also for those moments when you want to pretend that you too are a rock star. I know you all do it. You can't fool me.

Track Four: Could It Be Magic - Barry Manilow
Yes, Barry Manilow. I remember listening along to this in the car with my Ma when I was little on a cassette she had of Barry's greatest hits. For reasons I am not entirely clear of, I thought this was one of the greatest things I had ever heard, and I supposed to a degree I still do. He is a bit of a legend in my book. I have vague recollections of seeing him on Noel's House Party back in the day, and I used to love that show. I also clearly remember it being played at the end of mine at Fi's joint 18th birthday and no-one giving a damn. They really should bring it back. I am sure at some point of my life I will be mildly cool, but it's not looking good.

Track Five: Good Girls Go Bad - Cobra Starship & Leighton Meester
I still get a little excited whenever I hear this song, even though I have listened to it a fair few times by now, and I hope that would continue throughout my extended stay. I love Cobra Starship and I love Leighton Meester, so it's a bit of a no-brainer really.

Track Six: If I Could Turn Back Time - Cher
No, wait, come back! I can explain! When I was a little Emma, I used to love standing by the side of Ma while she did her Cher fitness videos and have a go at doing them myself. I remember there was a lot of step aerobics, and as I was only a small child and mother didn't want to kill me, I would use the floor instead. It was a proud day when I was promoted to a small step. I say step, it was probably about as high as a CD case, but at the time I felt really grown up. With it being her exercise video, there were a fair few of her songs in the background too. Like subliminal messaging or something. But I loved it. I am sure at some point of my life I will be mildly cool, but it's not looking good.

Track Seven: Feeling Good - Michael Buble
I find it almost impossible to listen to this song without singing along. I am little bit in love with The Buble (anyone who says they aren't must be fibbing), and if I have his awesome tones playing in my ear I can pretend that he is with me. I was originally going to chose Home as my choice track, but I think that might be taunting myself with that and would probably end up as a nervous wreck.

Track Eight: I'm On A Boat - The Lonely Island
Hello, My name is Emma and I am highly predictable, slightly obsessive, and have a somewhat childish sense of humour. I choose this songs for two reasons. Number One: I can pretend that I am on an actual boat, and therefore not on a desert island, and therefore can be on my way to a movie night at Hotel Fi. Number Two: I could sing/swear along to it as loud as my lungs will allow me to without the fear of someone overhearing me.

Book: This is actually more tricky than the songs, which surprised me a little. So I am decided to take the Harry Potter selection, and I am adamant that doesn't count as cheating. It's essentially the same story seven times anyway!

Luxury Item: My first thought was that I could cheat and bring an ipod, but that's not really in the spirit of the game. My second thought was to take my DS and games, but then I realised that the battery would run out pretty quick, and that would be pretty useless. Then I decided I was thinking about this far too much and really should get a life, so opted for a pillow or a puzzle book.

No comments:

Post a Comment