Tuesday 2 March 2010

Top Five: Fueled By Ramen (Past & Present)

I'm not gonna lie to you folks, when I was young and impressionable, I pretty much lapped up everything that the Fueled By Ramen folks threw in my direction. To be honest, that is pretty much still the case, just not with quite the same level of enthusiasm as before. There are loads more bands I could mention who could have quite easily been in the list. Gym Class Heroes, Cute Is What We Aim For, The Hush Sound, The Academy Is..., Friday Night Boys, October Fall... all are quality bands that nobody has probably heard of, unless you are of the pop punk/happy emo persuasion.


5. Cobra Starship
If I had done this list about a month or so ago, then Cobra Starship would have been a lot higher in this list. However, I have recently seen them on their headlining theatre tour, and it has come to my attention that the lead singer of said band, Mr Gabriel Saporta, is an arrogant, vain numpty who likes the sound of his voice WAY too much and has an inflated sense of his own self importance. That aside, the rest of the band is made up of highly likeable boys and girl (Ryland, Vicki, Nate and Alex) who make genuinely happy music that makes me want to join the band, apart from the fact I may actually kill the lead singer. And to think, I once had that man on my desktop. The computer desktop that is. I don't think I have sold them too well...
Best Tracks: Good Girls Go Bad, You're Not In On The Joke, Guilty Pleasure, Keep It Simple, Snakes On A Plane


4. Panic! At The Disco
I was/am a little bit in love with their first album. I listened to it nearly all the time and even my mum seemed to like them. So it was with great excitement that I pre-ordered album number two, in a special pack including a jigsaw, CD, LP and t-shirt (value for money, people!). Unfortunately, the album is god awful - a prime example of when a change in direction was a really bad idea (hence why I've used the name with the "!"). The early stuff though is still one of my favourite albums with music that transports you to another place and lyrics that you would not expect to come from eighteen year old boys. Recently, the band has split into two citing "musical differences" (i.e. we aren't friends anymore), so I have high hopes that all members will return to their former glory - they're most recent single, by those still allowed to work under the Panic umbrella, is definitely a return to form.
Best Tracks: New Perspective, I Write Sins Not Tragedies, But It's Better If You Do, Build God Then We'll Talk, Camisado.


3. Fall Out Boy
Another band who suffers from arrogant band member syndrome, although this time not the lead singer, but the notorious bass player, whose douche behaviour far extends band activities. I loved this band before they were the toast of the town, ever since I discovered them in some cheesy girls magazine. But no-one cared about them in those days. I have no idea how exactly they became popular, but they no longer seem to be an active band, so are likely to fade away in the not too distant future, which is quite a shame, although I don't think their latest album was one of their best. I don't think this list is going to do much to encourage anyone to listen to these bands. I promise to only say nice things about the final two.
Best Tracks: Sugar We're Goin' Down, Thnks Fr Th Mmrs, XO, Grand Theft Autumn, I Don't Care.


2. The Cab
I can't really think of much to say about this band, expect I am in love with their boy band-esque lyrics and happy, rock backing music. It sounds awful on paper, but they are so good. I clearly remember being introduced to this band by a very good friend while sat on her bed and was instantly hooked. A criminally under-rated band of the highest degree.
Best Tracks: Vegas Nights, Bounce, High Hopes & Velvet Ropes, One Of Those Nights, Risky Business.


1. Paramore
I think my views on Hayley Williams are pretty clear by now. I have never heard a song of theirs I didn't like and would go to see them live a hundred times, and I am pretty sure I would never, ever tire of them. With every album they release I fall in love with them, and I am glad that the rest of the world is catching on to their brilliance, even if it did take being associated with a certain vampire movie for it to happen. Although they weren't exactly unpopular prior to this, it was a pretty good business decision by my reckoning. Even NME approve of them now, and they are a right bunch of music snobs.
Best Tracks: Misery Business, Decode, Brick By Boring Brick, Emergency, Born For This.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said about Cobra Starship.. I hate it when you WANT to like someone because the music they make is awesome and they upon their mouth and it all goes wrong. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so agreeing with you on that one. Makes me a little sad inside.

    ReplyDelete