Thursday 18 March 2010

Top Five: Life Changing Gigs

These are not necessarily the five best gigs that I have attended, but the ones that have changed my life the most in some way or other. It might sound a little over-dramatic, but bear with me on this one. Also, you should bear in mind that I do not have an impeccable memory, so any dates mentioned will be courtesy of my dear friend Mr Google, or the stash of tickets currently living in a yellow box under my bed. I apologise in advance for the number of times I am probably about to use the word "gig". I also apologise to person I shall refer to as "Music Guru" who has attended the majority of these events so probably doesn't want to read about them again.

5. 30 Seconds To Mars @ Bristol Academy - 2008
One of the many bands that have come into my life courtesy of my dear friend and music guru (they are the same person by the way). I was a little sceptical of seeing a band with a celebrity lead singer, and was a little scared by the screaming girls/women surrounding me, but it turns out that 30 Seconds To Mars are a band that benefit from the live environment. I don't think I would be as keen on this band if I had never seen them in this live capacity. To be honest, I mostly threw this gig in the mix because I couldn't think of five gigs. But it was a pretty awesome show.

4. 911 @ BIC, Bournemouth - late nineties
This was the first gig I ever attended. I went with my mother. The support band was Atomic Kitten, back in the days when they were called Automatic Kitten. This probably tells you everything you need to know about the whole experience to be honest, and I can already foresee that you are all now bitterly disappointed that my taste in music has not always been at its current high standard *cough*. However, had I never danced the night away with 911 & co, I may never have caught the gigging bug, and that would have been a little bit tragic, as this was the night that I realised that music was meant to be played live, not out of a stereo.

3. You Me At Six, Forever The Sickest Kids, We The Kings @ Newport Centre, Newport - March 2010
Two Reasons. 1) I had been desperate to see FTSK live for ages and ages, so I feel like an ambition was reached. 2) It has triggered a slight YM@6 (though admittedly mostly lead singer based) obsession. I have always liked the band, but something happened on that fateful evening in Newport which has resulted in my brain being consumed by an urge to listen to their music at all hours of the day. Plus, I melt a little at the sight of Josh Franceschi's smiley face. I'm not sure how long this will last, but for now, I am 100% hooked. I feel slightly better as Music Guru is in the same boat.

2. Muse @ Earls Court, London - 2004
To date, probably the best live band I have ever seen. I have seen them in a few different locations over the years, but this was the first time I witnessed them, and to say I was blown away is a little bit of an understatement. It raised my expectations of what to expect when seeing a band. I may be wrong, but I also believe it is the first time I have had to leave gig early and have a (not so) leisurely run through the tube station with Music Guru in order to catch the last public transport home. The annoyance at having to skip out before the end is slightly balanced out my the tannoy announcement telling us to stop running as we sped through Earls Court train station, but only slightly.

1. Taking Back Sunday @ 93 Feet East, London - August 2006
Prior to attending this gig, my only experience of this band was through Music Guru. I had liked the music, and as the gig was to take place in one of the smallest venues known to man, this was too good an opportunity to waste. As it turned out, we were stood effectively in the second row, which remains the best "seats" I have ever had at a gig - I could actually see the band for one thing (something that is not always easy when you are a person as short in stature as I unfortunately am). I went from casual listener to huge fan during the set and haven't looked back since. I remember the set drawing to a close and me thanking my friend for introducing me to the band, and said friend buying me a TBS T-shirt as I really wanted one, and at the time was a bit on the poor side. It remains one of my prize possessions. This awesome show was followed by seeing the band AGAIN just a few days later at Reading Festival, which was in turn followed by me and the music guru queueing up to meet my brand new heroes. I will never turn down a chance to see these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment