Sunday 25 October 2009

Top 5: Boy Bands

5. 911.
Not a very cool band to admit to liking in hindsight, or when they were still active, but they were the first gig I went to, so they have a special place in my heart. Makes me laugh when the band members appear on the line-up on Never Mind The Buzzcocks (two down, one to go!). I used to be mesmerised by their dancing. But looking back I have realised that really wasn't their greatest skill. I am not entirely sure they had a great skill.
Faves: Bodyshakin, Don't Make Me Wait, Love Sensation.

4. Busted.
Not technically a boy band (my blog, my rules), but I was absolutely in love with this band. Pretty perfect pop music, with added guitars. James Bourne is a bit of a pop genius. McFly could also just as easily have been in this position, but there is something a bit special about Busted. I'm not sure if it's because they were the originals, or because they split up when they were at their peak. I was gutted when Charlie left and it all went tits up. I didn't cry, just to clarify. I tried really hard not to love Fightstar when they emerged from the ashes, but unfortunately I am unable to deny that they are awesome. Damn you, Simpson.
Faves: 3am, You Said No, Thunderbirds.

3. Backstreet Boys.
How can you not love this band? The undisputed Kings of The Ballad (if anyone claims Westlife are, I will refuse to talk to you for at least 3 minutes), although I personally think they are at their best with their more uptempo numbers. The day I saw them at TOTP was literally one of the most exciting moments ever. Despite the change of hairstyles and clothes, they seem to have forgotten to age. Probably too busy being larger than life. Oh yes, I have resorted to puns.
Faves: Everybody (Backstreets Back), Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely, Inconsolable.

2. Take That.
I used to be a lot in love with this band. Although I was not one of the crazy people in floods of tears when they split up. Even as a child I had some sense of perspective. Had they never come back into my life, Take That would definitely have been number one on this list. But they did re-emerge, and I don't think their newer stuff is as good as the old stuff. I like my boy bands to be slightly whiffing of Cheddar, and this more mature sound (oh yes, now I have resorted to cheese based puns) is tarnishing my memories. Don't get me wrong, Patience is one of the greatest pop songs ever written, but my enthusiasm at their return is diminishing. Old school TT all the way!
Faves: Sure, Relight My Fire, A Million Love Songs.

1. NSYNC.
Slightly controversial choice, but I am currently a lot in love with this band. I am almost 100% sure that if a new boy band popped up singing the same songs, I would laugh in their faces. Part of their appeal is the nostalgia factor, even though it really hasn't aged well, but it can never, ever fail to make a humungous smile appear on my face. I kinda hope this band never comes back though. It really wouldn't be the same.
Faves: Pop, Bye Bye Bye, Tearing Up My Heart.

2 comments: