Friday 10 September 2010

Because You Are NEVER Too Old For McFly...

Top Five: McFly Albums

In celebration of an impending new album and my reignited obsession.

5. Greatest Hits: B-Side & Rarities
A very random mix of songs that you have probably never heard before unless you insist on buying all the singles, and a whole bunch of covers from the likes of The Killers, The Beatles x 2 and Rihanna (well, who HASN'T covered 'Umbrella'). I only chose it because they have only released four LPs, and choosing the regular Greatest Hits album feels like cheating a little, and no-one likes a cheat. Also, it was only available in Woolworth stores, so it feels a bit special that I own a copy. I am easily impressed.
Best Songs: The Guy Who Turned Her Down, Pinball Wizard.

4. Radio:Active
My least favourite of their "proper" albums mostly because it was originally released free with the Daily Fail, which meant I had to publicly embarrass myself in the local shop by picking up a copy. I have since moved out of the area. I also bought the deluxe version when it came out in the shops, because apparently one copy was not enough. Like I said, I have since moved out the area.
Best Songs: The Heart Never Lies, The Last Song, Lies.

3. Motion In The Ocean
I am a bit hit or miss with this one. A bit Marmite, you may say. The love does outweigh the hate, but only at a ratio of 9:4. My Wikipedia search informs me that this album was recorded in the "infamous Grouse Lodge recording studio", which I have never heard of before, and upon further search, I am unable to find out why it is infamous, but I do know it has a spa, horse riding and satellite TV.
Best Songs: Bubblewrap, Transylvania, Please, Please.

2. Room On The Third Floor
The very first, so named after a track on the album, which in turn is written about the hotel room in which the album was written. I am not convinced they spent a whole album in the same room, but I refuse to believe that Tom, Dougie, Harry and Danny would lie to me. I remember listening to this album the first time and hearing all the tracks about unrequited love and thinking it was impossible that they could be that unlucky in love.
Best Songs: Five Colours In Her Hair, Obviously, Not Alone, That Girl.

1. Wonderland
I will never, ever, ever forget the first time that I listened to this album. I was sat on a coach with the Music Guru sharing a walkman and a set of headphones. Then track number 8 came on. And we were not prepared for what was about to happen. A two-part Disney sounding epic, the first part purely instrumental, the second part telling the tale about a young girl committing suicide. In short, it is the last thing you would ever expect to hear on a McFly album, but when Lil' Tom plays it live, it is more than a bit awesome.
Best Songs: All About You, She Falls Asleep, I Wanna Hold You, Too Close For Comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment