Monday 13 September 2010

Personal Space Invasions

Top 5: Best/Worst "Mosh Pit" Related Incidents

I use the term lightly. I'm not really that hardcore.

5. Fall Out Boy @ Reading Festival
I start this by saying that I am not 100% sure it was actually during a Fall Out Boy set when this occurred, but it was definitely at Reading, so at least I am 50% right. Anyway, the point is during someones set, the band in question instructed those stood in the front section of the crowd to split in half, pick up the litter surrounding them and chuck it at the opposing team. Luckily for myself, Music Guru and possibly Welsh Boy (this is the most vague story ever, I do apologise), we were far enough back to enjoy chucking rubbish without the fear of incoming attack. Yes, it is immature and not very safety conscious, but when else do you get to have a garbage fight without the risk of getting punched in the face?

4. Dizzee Rascal @ Reading Festival
This was the first time I had seen Mr Rascal, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but as soon as the music started, the crowd went mental, but in a good way. People were dancing around like crazy loons. Unfortunately, I was feeling quite crappy at this point (as I may have mentioned before, Reading Festival hates me), so I wasn't able to sustain my dancing feet for very long, so the three of us mentioned above (Welsh Boy was DEFINITELY there, I am sure of it this time) had to move further back, away from the hot, sweaty people.

3. Panic! At The Disco @ London Astoria
The one and only time I had the pleasure of going to the Astoria was a pretty epic occassion. The pleasure was slightly dampened by the very squashed conditions. Young kids in massive backpacks were determined to get to the front of the stage, and were willing to shove themselves in any gap possible. This was made worse by the fact we had to stand through a set by Men, Women & Children with their stupid monkey song. I had forgotten all about this though, by the time P!atD rocked on the stage, but it was just too hot, so me and the Music Guru moved to the very back and decided to have a boogie instead. Much more fun!

2. Hoobastank @ Southampton Guildhall
This was my first "mosh" experience and I learnt some valuable lessons. Namely, don't stand at the back of a "mosh pit" unless there is someone stood very close behind you. Why is this? Because you will end up at the bottom of a tweenager pile, that is why. Also, if you are losing balance, its a nice touch not to drag your friend down with you (Sorry, Mutley*!) Luckily, I was rescued by some big, burly men and escaped injury free, except for a few bruises.

1. Lostprophets @ Brixton Academy
This may seem like an exaggeration, but this was one of the most scary experiences of my life. Unlike the Dizzee dancers, the 'Prophets fans went totally mental, probably in a good way for them, but not so much for me. I was getting pushed about all over the place, got seperated from Music Guru (I know she is getting mentioned a lot, but I go to 99% of my gigs with her - I have few friends), who also very nearly lost her shoe, and we had to fight our way to the back of the room, with lots of very unhelpful people unwilling to move out the way. This is how most of the stories end, as you may have noticed. Like I said, I am not very hardcore.

*Also, sorry for the nickname.

No comments:

Post a Comment