Saturday 1 September 2012

Shake Those Hips In My Direction

Top 5: Musicals

5. On The Town
Firstly, any film that features both Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly really needs to be seen. On The Town is the story of three naval officers who are on leave for just one day in the Big Apple, and hilarity, love and, of course, singing and dancing ensues. I remember I first saw this film was back in my post-drop-out, slacker days, and the last time was to get me in the mood for my holiday to NYC.

4. Hairspray
I'm not gonna lie, I only took in an interest in the movie of this because a certain Mr Efron was in it. This will be a shocking fact to precisely zero percentage of anyone who has already read a post on here before. I once went to Sing-A-Long-Hairspray with my Mum and I LOVED it. If you have never been to one before, they play the movie on a screen, with the words coming up on the screen for the songs, but you are also provided props for each song to dance with. It is a-ma-zing!

3. Sound Of Music
I had this on VHS when I was a young-un and watched it again and again and again and again, much to the delight of my family members. I maintain that it has educational value though, as it taught me important life lessons such as all the musical notes, Nuns will hide you from the Nazi's, clothing can be made from unwanted curtains and it is not socially acceptable to summon children using a whistle.

2. Lion King
Considering I don't own this film, and don't recall us owning it when I was little, I don't know how I have managed to see it as many times as I have. Back when I was a particularly cool Primary School attendee, me and my friend used to sing the songs on the coach on the way to swimming lessons. If you haven't seen the stage show, you really, really should. You will laugh, sing and even cry a little bit.

1. Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
Back in the days before the VHS over-use and the coach entertainment, I had the cassette of this and I am fairly certain that other than Take That, it was the only thing I listened to. I still own the tape now (with Jason Donavon singing), a VHS starring Donnie Osmond and have also gone all high tech and have downloaded a copy on iTunes. Just in case that doesn't make me seem obsessive enough, I have also been to see the stage show starring Lee Mead. I bloody love this musical!

No comments:

Post a Comment